English sentence connectors
In this lesson you will see how we use some English sentence connectors to help you speak and write English more confidently and fluently.
For example, we can use English sentence connectors in English for 1) Condition, 2) Result, and 3) in order to give more detail.
Let's look at the three areas individually starting with Condition.
Some sentence connectors we use to show condition are if so, if not, otherwise.
- I hope the bus comes soon. Otherwise I will be late for my appointment.
- I think Ted is bringing some pizzas for dinner. Otherwise we'll have to go and buy them.
- Are you going to the shops? If so, please buy me some milk.
- It's starting to rain so we 'd better go inside. If not, we'll get wet.
Now let's look at some sentence connectors for Result.
We can use as a result, because of this, consequently, hence, thus, therefore.
- I ended up missing the bus. As a result, I missed my appointment.
- I lived in Madrid for 10 years, hence my near perfect Spanish.
- The traffic will most likely be heavy. Therefore, we should get going now.
- Messi was injured before the final. Thus, the team had little chance of winning the game.
Finally, some sentence connectors for giving more detail.
For this we can use namely, that is to say, in other words.
- Some European countries, namely Germany and the UK, have had an increase in the number of terror-related attacks.
- They say they have a cashflow problem, or in other words, they can't pay their bills.
- People normally leave this company by force - that is to say they get fired.
So there you go. Some examples of how we English Sentence Connectors to show Condition, Result, or to give more detail.
If you want to look at another English lesson you can click here.
You can interact with many of my lessons at curious.com
Please share with your friends if they are learning English.
Fell free to buy me breakfast if you have enjoyed this lesson.