Essay Linking Words
If you are studying for an English exam like First Certificate, Advanced or Proficiency, you will need to Essay Linking Words.
We use linking words to join sentences together when we write and speak English.
They are also important to write cohesive sentences and paragraphs.
In this English lesson we look at linking words for Time, Reason, Result, Purpose.
Let’s look at the four different types of linking words individually with some examples.
when, after, while, once, since, ever since, as soon as
- I had a bath while the children watched television.
- I have not been happy ever since I lost my job.
- I will come to visit you as soon as I can.
- Jenny has been different since her divorce.
because, since, As, in case, in so far as
- Since you are going to drink tonight, let’s take a taxi.
- Let’s have a picnic today in case it rains tomorrow.
- Wikipedia is great in so far as it helps you learn new things.
- We couldn’t get out much today as it was raining.
so (that), such (that), therefore, as a result
- We got to the cinema late so we missed the start of the film.
- It was such a hot day that the air conditioning didn’t work properly.
- I lost my job as a result of the crisis.
in order to, so as to, in order that, so that
- He spoke slowly in order to make himself understood.
- I will try to speak slowly so that you can understand me better.
- Please walk quietly so as to avoid waking the baby.
Remember that the sooner you start to use these words in your sentences the better your English will become.
Don’t be afraid to make mistakes as it is one of the best ways to learn.
Want to learn more about essay linking words and connectors? Click here.
Many of my lessons are on Curious.com. Check them out.
Please share the lesson with you friends.
If you liked the lesson you can buy me breakfast. This will help me to make more lessons for you to learn English for free.