In this English lesson you will learn how to use 'so' to avoid repetition when we speak and write English.
We use 'so' to avoid repeating a phrase:
- after opinion verbs such as expect, guess, hope, imagine, it seems, suppose, think, I'm afraid.
- 'Do you think Australia will win the cricket?' 'I hope so or I think so'.
We can also use 'so' after say and tell.
- 'I don't like this fish.' '- I told you so.'
- 'Can I go to the movies? '- 'Only if your mother says so.'
Not + 'so'
We prefer not + 'so' with imagine, expect, think
- 'Will it be cold tomorrow?' - 'I don't think so.'
We use 'not' after I'm afraid, guess, hope
- 'Can I go out tonight with my friends?' - 'I am afraid not.'
Here's another English lesson for you to study.
Please take a look at my English courses on curious.com